Sunday, November 2, 2008

My Boss Stopped By

In the United Methodist faith we have an hierarchy. My boss, the District Superintendent, came by for worship with us. He was on his way to a group meeting in the same town so he stopped by my church on the way to capture the essence of our worship. I think it went well. As it would happen, we had no piano/organ player, so the first part of church was ah Capella, till one of our piano players came in and finished out the service with piano and hymns. But the flavor of our worship was evident.

I had numerous interruptions to my sermon (which I always love) and I think it hit home on the topic of being hypocrites, as was the lectionary passage today from Matthew 23. Got a firm handshake from the boss afterwords and a compliment. So, I won't read anything into that. With or without the boss there, it was really good worship. Tears were shed, smiles and frowns shared, and the Word was spoken. Can't ask for a better medley of events at any worship service, let alone one where the boss was there. T'was good!

No comments: