Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The "Johnny Box"

When I began pastoring my church in June this year I was told about passing the "Johnny Box" after the children's sermon. It looks like a treasure chest with a slot in the top. The children walk through the congregation and people make a donation to the box. It was made by a previous (now deceased) pastor and he encouraged the congregation to deny themselves at least one little pleasure during the week (like a soft drink, dessert, candy, etc.) and donate that money to the box for the pastor to use when a person in need comes for assistance. It's awesome!

Just last week a woman in need contacted the church. I was able to help her with her power bill with funds from the Johnny Box. Add that to the food we were able to glean from our pantry and it made a difference in at least one person's life.

Many pastors don't have a well funded discretionary fund to draw upon. Our very giving church keeps adding to and adding to this fund with only myself and one other person knowing how much money is in it (she converts the coins and dollar bills into more manageable denominations). I've shared this idea with some other pastors and they all say that it's something that would help in their church. I'm truly blessed to have been preceded by someone with such a great idea.

No comments: