Thursday, August 21, 2008

New Youth Minister....Yippie!

We (I) hired a new youth minister as a result of placing an ad on the conference classifieds. He comes from Church of God, but is lead to minister to youth anywhere...from any denomination. I welcome him.

Tonight was his debut service and he got the elders in attendance to be motivated to do more to support the youth. More importantly, he ministered to the youth and let them know that they were a part of a movement of God in the community, county, and state. They were overwhelmed by his message. I was as well.

God puts people in our lives for us to minister to, learn from, and move forward in Christ through. I feel, as a pastor, that I have to minister to our new youth minister. More importantly, I have to take a back seat to his ministry. Together we can accomplish things that neither of us could do alone. Does this make sense?

Empowerment is a big deal. Many pastors lack a sense of desiring to empower someone else to make a move in Christ. I, as a budding pastor, see this as a move that is to be embraced, cultivated, and heralded. If it comes back to bite me in the face...so be it. But for the meanwhile, I'm supporting our new youth minister. He comes from a Church of God background...but aren't we all in a church of God? We'll see where this venture takes us, but for now, I'm supporting our new youth minister! Tonight's message he brought made us all come to tears in following Christ.

Just a rural pastor's perspective. Whaddya city slickers think? ( I used to be a city slicker.)

No comments: